Sunday, January 10, 2010

NORAD Tracks Santa 12/25/2008

Yeti (I can't figure out how to make links work, so you'll have to search for him:( ) posted a blog about NORAD Tracks Santa.  It's a project NORAD/NORTHCOM does every year for children around the world wanting to know where Santa is on Christmas Eve.  This got me to thinking about MY experience and I told him I would blog about it.  Thanks for the idea, man!  :D

 

Oh, the link is here:  http://www.noradsanta.org.

 

Christmas 2005 I had the honor and privilege of serving with active duty military in the operation NORAD Tracks Santa.  This is something that The North American Defense Command puts on every year.  They track Santa by satallite and answer a hotline and emails for anyone who wants to call in/email in (and can get through).  That Christmas My exhusband was stationed with NORAD/NORTHCOM located in Colorado Springs and we both pulled a shift.  Our daughter had just turned one and she slept the whole time in her little velvet red dress. 

 

He answered emails from people of all ages, some asking about where Santa was, and some just wanting to thank him and the others for their service.  I answered the phones.  That was probably a bad idea as I am the one with the hearing definciency.  I had calls from Australia, Belgium, Germany, France, England, and all over the United States. 

 

The call from Australia was sweet.  The father called in for his two little girls who were SO excited about Santa coming.  I spoke to the older girl but the younger was too shy to get on the phone.  The calls from the European countries were thanking us for our service.  When I told a German man I was merely a spouse, he told me I served just as much as my spouse did and thanked me again. 

 

I will never, ever forget a call from a little girl in East Texas.  I answered the phone and heard, "Heeeeeey, cain ewe tail me whan Santa's gonna git to Teaxass?"  :D  She was SO sweet! 

 

One this day generals and privates work side by side.  No one wears rank.  Well, they show up in uniform, but it's a different kind of day.  It's a true labor of love for NORAD and I was honored to be a part of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Happily unmarried for over three years now. Between us we have 5 children. Work full time. Graduated with my bachelor's May 2009. Life is hectic but always interesting. It's worth it. We make it work though. Just another day in paradise...

AddThis

Share |

Blog Archive

Followers