Sunday, January 10, 2010

Before I Was a Mom 12/11/2008

16de.jpg 100_3614 image by allicadabra
My mom and my daughter, April 2007

Before I was a Mom I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.

Heck, I'd never had reason to REMEMBER a lullaby!

I didn't worry whether or not plants were poisonous.

Why would I care?  I didn't like to camp anyway...

I never thought about immunizations.

After all, mine were all up to date...

Before I was a Mom - I had never been puked on. Pooped on. Peed on.

I wasn't a nurse...

I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.

Well, that MAY be debateable...

I slept all night- and sometimes all day.

Guilty...

Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests or give shots.

That was their mommy's job, not mine...

I never looked into teary eyes and cried...

I wasn't that sensitive...

I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.

It's just gas...

I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.

I had better things to do...

Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put them down.

They get heavy...

I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.

There was always someone else that could fix it.  Wouldn't be my problem, not my kid...

I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.

She was only 6 pounds, 5 ounces at birth...

I never knew that I could love someone so much.

Never in my life did I imagine wanting to go wake up a sleeping baby, just to hug her and kiss her...

I never knew I would love being a Mom.

It's the hardest job I'll ever love...

Before I was a Mom - I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.

Running and jumping, playing and telling me I'm not her best fwiend anymore when I brush the tangles out...

I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.

And watching her hold her bottle for the first time...

I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.

Hearing her exclaim to another child in the church nursery, "That's my mommy!"  She knew I was hers...

I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.

I can do anything, fix anything, make anything right...  At least, she thinks so...

Before I was a Mom - I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.

Panicked, worrying...  Only to see her the next morning running circles in the living room...

I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.

That was someone else's gig, not mine.  I didn't want it...

I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom

My cup runneth over...

 

 

No, I didn't write it.  It's been reposted so many times, I have no idea who to credit, but I love this poem. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Happily unmarried for over three years now. Between us we have 5 children. Work full time. Graduated with my bachelor's May 2009. Life is hectic but always interesting. It's worth it. We make it work though. Just another day in paradise...

AddThis

Share |

Blog Archive

Followers