Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lucky Man 5/30/2009


Category: Romance and Relationships




The above song is a Montgomery Gentry coutry song that came out a few years ago.  Bill is teaching himself to play it on his guitar and sing it as well.  Everytime I hear that song, especially now, after we have made a home together, it gets me right there... 


When he and I were first dating, but not exclusively, he had texted me a few lines from that song, "God's given me a pretty fair hand."  At the time I was freshly divorced and scared to death.  I had never heard that song, but agreed with him God had given him a pretty fair hand.  One late Saturday night after watching a movie he had fallen asleep on my couch and I had gone on ahead to bed.  I awoke to him crouching beside me just watching me.  We began to talk about our plans, what we wanted, etc.  At the time I was so scared I couldn't tell him I wanted him and only him.  I was too scared it would turn out badly.  That night we agreed we would continue dating but see other people.  After he walked out my door I almost ran after him but couldn't find my damn shoes.  I heard his truck roar off into the night and I cried at what I thought was the wrong decision I had just made. 


The next Monday morning I was commuting to work and that song came on.  By the first chorus I was in tears.  I realized I'd just screwed up BIG TIME.  Boy did I make the wrong decision.  I called him and told him I'd just heard the song.  We left lots unsaid that day, but that day, that morning, that commute, that song, was a turning point for me.  At the end of the day, I wanted him, and only him.  Everything else be damned.  I knew when I made my last call of the day, I wanted it to be to him. 

It wasn't easy, getting to where we are now.  But it has been worth it.  We have ups and downs, just like everyone else.  A dear friend asked me the other day, "You're really happy, aren't you?"  I sighed, I thought a minute, and I said, "It's the weirdest thing, even when I'm mad at him, I'm happy."  Lord knows I'm not the easiest person to live with (ask my exhusband) but he is my calming influence, he is the laughter in my eyes, he is the asshole I can't help but adore. 

This song applies to him in more ways than I can think of.  Gid has given him a pretty fair hand.  He's got a house and piece of land, a few dollars at his fingertips.  His old truck was traded in a few months ago for a Jeep, but it was still running good.  His ticker is ticking like they say it should.  I fixed supper tonight and would hope he considers mine a good woman's loving.  And he has one more day to be his children's dad.  He is a very lucky man.  And I'm smart enough to know I'm a very lucky woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Happily unmarried for over three years now. Between us we have 5 children. Work full time. Graduated with my bachelor's May 2009. Life is hectic but always interesting. It's worth it. We make it work though. Just another day in paradise...

AddThis

Share |

Blog Archive

Followers