Saturday, March 6, 2010

Logic Takes a Holiday

So most of you know by now my parents disagree with my life. I was going to say living situation but it's really more than that. It's everything. Shortly after I moved to Nashville my little sister wanted to visit me. My parents allowed her to come up here with a friend for dinner. She was not allowed to stay over, although her friend was, she was instructed to return home that night. I did not argue with my parents, though I thought it stupid. I reinforced to my sister she lived under their house and had to abide by their rules. Their reasoning for her not being able to spend the night? "The living situation with your sister." I.e. I'm "living in sin." They didn't want my sister to possibly get the impression they approve of my living with a man who is not my husband. Their call, their kid. I get it.

My understanding was blown to hell last night. My little sister's best friend's father was put into a local Nashville hospital with blood clots in his lungs. Very sad. I offered to come to the hospital and visit. They, instead, asked to meet for dinner and get out of the hospital. I agreed. I should explain, her best friend is a 18 year old homosexual male. HE is a wonderful friend to my little sister and I like him very much. He's great fun. Over the course of our dinner conversation it came to light that not only do mom and dad approve of her friendship with this young man BUT THEY LET HIM SLEEP OVER IN HER BED. My little sister cannot stay under my roof because I live with a man who is not my husband, but they allow a homosexual boy to sleep in her bed???

We all know I have nothing against homosexuals. No problem with them. But knowing my parents' convictions center on the Bible and their Christian beliefs, I am STUNNED. JUST STUNNED. I am left to wonder when I fell farther from their consideration than the very sexual morality they claim to despise. I am sure it's going to be a "hate the sin, not the sinner" argument, or "be in the world and not of the world" but frankly I'm so over being treated as less than a person, less than their daughter, because I was brave enough to make my own decisions in my life. That attitude JUST SICKENS ME.

On the other hand, my little sister has turned out relatively normal, thank heavens. She is incredibly well rounded and going to college with almost a full scholarship. Heaven knows how she ended up as well as she did. But I love her and will always be here for her.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Happily unmarried for over three years now. Between us we have 5 children. Work full time. Graduated with my bachelor's May 2009. Life is hectic but always interesting. It's worth it. We make it work though. Just another day in paradise...

AddThis

Share |

Followers